Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

Canned BBQ Shredded Turkey

Every Thanksgiving season, I buy as many cheap turkeys as possible. In the past I have canned turkey soup. This year, I branched out and created a new recipe - BBQ shredded turkey. Yum!

Now I know BBQ can bring out strong debate on the best style. Memphis? Texas? Carolina? Ketchup? Mustard? Vinegar? And, food fights can ensue if you don't agree.

Well, even though I live in Texas, I am using a Carolina-style sauce. My daughter cannot eat tomatoes, so a ketchup-based sauce will not work in my house. You read that right. No tomatoes! No salsa. No spaghetti bolognese. No pizza!!!  There was much angst in this house when we learned we could no longer eat pizza!

Doesn't matter with BBQ because I LOVE a good mustard and vinegar BBQ sauce. Salt Lick in Austin uses a sauce very similar to the one below.

This recipe will can approximately 10-12 pint jars from a 17 lb turkey. I use pint jars because we have a small family. We can't eat a whole quart. I found that one pint is enough for about four BBQ sandwiches. YMMV.

Disclaimer 1: If you have never used a pressure canner before, please read the instructions that came with your canner. This recipe assumes you know how to use a pressure canner.

Disclaimer 2: Meats MUST be pressure canned. I will not adjust or comment on any inquiries about water-bath canning meats.


Canned BBQ Shredded Turkey

Turkey:
1 15 to 17 lb turkey, giblet packet and neck removed. Check for meat thermometer.
3 tsp minced garlic
6 to 10 bay leaves
2 tsp salt

Place thawed turkey in pressure cooker. Add bay leaves, garlic and salt. Fill cooker to cover turkey, being careful to not fill more than your pressure cooker manual suggests. Mine says 2/3rds full. Cook turkey at 15 psi for 90 minutes. It will be falling off the bones when done.

Meanwhile I prepared my pint canning jars by boiling them in water. I put my lids in simmering water to sterilize and kept them all hot until I was ready for them.

Save broth to can separately. This makes a great broth. (Recipe for broth not included.)

De-bone turkey then shred.  Pack turkey tightly into jars.

Sauce:
4 cups prepared yellow mustard
2 cups sugar (I used raw cane sugar)
3 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup chili powder
4 tsp. black pepper
4 tsp. white pepper
4 tbsp liquid smoke
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
(Optional 8 tbsp butter. Some choose not to can anything with dairy. I'm not getting into that debate.)
2 cups water

In large sauce pan, combine the mustard, sugar, cider vinegar, chili powder, black pepper, and white pepper. Cook on medium low/simmer for about 30 minutes.

Add water, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and butter if using. Simmer 10 more minutes.

Ladle the sauce over the turkey in the fully packed jars. I had to run a plastic knife around the edges to get the sauce to completely fill to the bottom of the jar. Pack to one inch of head space.

Since my poultry is de-boned, I processed the pint jars in my pressure canner at 10 pounds of pressure for 75 minutes (90 minutes for quart jars).

(Note 1: The sauce absorbs into the meat. The jar will not be full to the brim, and the meat will not be swimming in sauce. However, this is safe.)

(Note 2: The seasoning mellows some when cooking. If you taste test a batch before canning, you may find that it is a bit spicy.)

I am linking this post in a blog hop. Please enjoy hopping from blog to blog! :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Emerging Providence. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes And Web Hosting Reviews.