Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

Truly Fluffy Gluten-Free Pancakes

Pancakes. There is no substitute for a fluffy stack of pancakes. Waffles are great, but they are not pancakes!

When I first began eating gluten free, I tried about a dozen pancake recipes. After tinkering with one a bit, I have found my perfect pancake recipe.


Fluffy Gluten-free Pancakes

2 eggs
4 cups water
2 tbsp oil (I use canola or sunflower)

2 1/4 cups white rice flour*
3 tsp xanthan gum
5 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
8 tsp sugar

Heat griddle to medium high. Fluffy pancakes like a hot griddle.

Whisk all wet ingredients together in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients, starting with the flour. Whisk until smoothish. If the batter is too thick, then add a bit more water.

This batter doesn't have many bubbles that pop, so I usually just peek at the bottom using a spatula.

Makes about 18 to 20 pancakes. I store mine in the fridge in a large Tupperware container. They reheat well. Pop them in the microwave for about 45 seconds.

This recipe can be adapted to make crepes. Just add a LOT more water, enough to make the batter pour off a spoon.

* Note: Bob's Red Mill states on the package that their GF products are not made in a facility that is GF. So, there is risk of cross-contamination. If this is an issue for you, substitute your favorite rice flour. I like Bob's because the flour is ground so fine there is no gritty texture to baked goods.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Emerging Providence. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes And Web Hosting Reviews.